By Khalil Hymore
At Blanche’s moonlight madness party, the full moon makes everyone a little loopy. In a weak moment Dorothy and Rose’s boyfriend, Miles, kiss. Dorothy confesses to Rose about the kiss by creating a cupcake metaphor. Simple Rose thinks they’re really talking about baking, and insults Dorothy’s dry, tasteless cupcakes. Dorothy quickly corrects Rose and explains that men love her moist and delicious cupcakes.
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 8-ounce containers Marscarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Heat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line 2 cupcake pans with liners, set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl, set aside. Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer set on medium speed until pale and smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition, until well blended. Mix in 2 teaspoons of the vanilla extract. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour-cocoa mixture, in thirds, alternating with the sour cream and ½ cup of hot water to the bowl until well combined.
3. Fill the liners ¾ of the way with batter and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the pan and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
4. To make the frosting, whisk together the Marscarpone cheese, heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar, and remaining vanilla extract. Frost and serve.