Joelle, a hairstylist and makeup artist, wanted nothing but the perfect mermaid themed wedding, with a hint of 1940’s to satisfy her police officer husband, John. And what she got… was confusion from David Tutera! Get to know this couple a little bit better by checking out some fun facts and stats below:
- Wanted the dog, Chloe, to be the ring bearer
- John and Joelle’s mother thought having Chloe be the ring bearer was a bad idea
- John wanted to sing at the wedding
- Joelle didn’t want John to sing at the wedding
- The couple listens to 88.1 am radio (The Swinging Years) together every Sunday
- They have a huge selection of movies from 1920s silent films to films of the late 1950s
- Joelle’s favorite actresses are Jean Harlow and Carol Lombard
- John’s favorite actor is Gene Autry
- Joelle was unmotivated to plan anything for her wedding due to her father’s heart complications
- The couple met through a mutual friend who set them up on a blind date
- They love anything “vintage”
Congratulations to the happy couple!
Viewers are always asking me, “Are the couples for real–are they really in to their concept or are they doing it for the show?” Sometimes I ask that myself. I’ve never met a more dedicated couple than this one. John literally wears clothes, styles his hair and speaks like he’s from the ’40s. When I met him, I knew this was someone who enjoys pretending, so to have a vintage ’40s idea was great.
Now Joelle, I wasn’t sold on. She wanted her wedding to have mermaids in it and I didn’t quite understand it. I battled the more juvenile Disney Ariel direction, so I kind of closed that book. I didn’t want mermaids at a vintage wedding, but as I did more homework into the idea, I fell in love with it. It wasn’t until I went back to my house on the east coast and saw mermaids everywhere in clothes, stores; it’s very New England. That was the final icing on the cake that sold me on it.
So when you watch the episode you’ll see that I took both of their concepts and fell in love with them as they were doing ’40s vintage and mermaid with or without me and I was happy to be along for the ride.
I hope they have a wonderful life together. They’re amazingly kind, cute and great people.