WE had a craving for L.A. Hair, and WE figured you did too! Below are some fun facts about season 1 of L.A. Hair straight from the production company!
- In almost every scene in a bar or restaurant the crew is in the background as extras
- In the scenes that show a transformation from when clients came into and dramatically changed, although it is quick in the show, it can take up to 3 hours or more to actually do them
- Because the mirrors in Kim’s salon faced each other there was very few places for crew to hide during shooting and at the most there could only be 2 cameras inside and the audio people had to be outside the salon
- In finding a second salon for Kim, we considered at least 5 different locations throughout Los Angeles before finally settling on the location in Silver Lake.
- The stencil designs on the walls in the new salon were done by the art department especially for the couple weeks we were in there.
- There were at least 3-4 scenes in every show that were cut out but can be seen on the website as deleted scenes
- In many of the outdoor and sit down meal scenes you will see few people in the background because this is easier to control sound from the cast members talking
- It took 5 days to shoot a full episode, sometimes 6 with interviews
- Shooting took place in West Hollywood, Silver Lake, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Moorpark and Hollywood
- All the furniture in the second salon was sold off online after shooting was completed as the owners were moving their salon and wanted a new look
- When taping the interviews for the final show, Kim was watching the scenes and footage for the first time so all her reactions and thoughts were fresh.
- After the show began airing many of the calls Kim’s salon was getting was from people who wanted to come to LA to have their hair done at the salon. Some calls even were from fans who wanted to talk about the show with the receptionist (who wasn’t actually on the show)
- All the celebs that appeared were friends or clients of Kim.
Anthony, get out the mirror boy!! Omarosa is here and Charity can’t handle it!!! She may be one of the most notorious reality stars but… momma is as sweet as some good ol’ down south peach cobbler. She got my phone number!!! Eoouuuu!!! She’s tender headed because I made her tender headed!!! BAM!!! And Anthony, you know you like your hair pulled too. Knock it off!!! Don’t confuse sensitivity with anger honey!!!
I absolutely love how everyone in the salon has their attention to Kim and her clients. Do we not have business of our own?!? And Omarosa, you will not come in calling Charity a bitch, and then wanting to get an ‘Amen’!!! I’m confused?!
Cocktails with my girl Angela at Tender Greens – I don’t get that much time with her because I work a lot outside of the salon so I need to know what’s up in Angela’s life. Usually when I arrive to the salon from Access Hollywood, the day-of drama has already started and I always catch the tail-end of everything. Charity does not have the proper receptionist etiquette that someone hired her for, which is why I needed to threaten her life with a verbal explanation of her being thrown off the balcony onto the middle of La Cienega Blvd!!! The child did not even know the where-abouts of my 4.30 p.m. client and it’s 4.50 p.m. So now, I have to appease (offer a drink) to a client that’s not even mine just to make sure that everyone at the Kimble Hair Studio can have a fabulous experience.
I decided to surprise Angela and Anthony at their photo shoot to see how things were going between those two troublemakers! I still wish she would have notified Kim about using Anthony as an assistant for her shoot before she did it, but then again, I guess Anthony is grown. He did say it’s on a ‘need to know’ basis. I mean, should it all be Angela’s fault?? It may not even matter because I’m sure Kim is going to lynch everybody at this point!!!
OOOOOhhhhhhhh…. Someone is looking really scandalous and messy at that lil’ meeting in the front of the salon baby. I’m so glad I work at Access Hollywood in the morning. It allows me to miss a lot of the salon drama. And is Angela trying to get me to workout?!? Naaahhhh, boo. I likes to drank!!!
Angela and I are at club 7-11, and she decides to tell me that she will be working with Eve, who is another client of the salon that Kim has been styling when she is in town. Why do I feel like I am in the middle of some ‘ish again?!? Damn it Angela!!! Sometimes I just have to throw my hands in the air and shake my head! I give up!!!
‘You know, if Angela takes one more of my clients…’ this good ol’ talk was an example of how most stylists can not handle another stylist taking their clients. The No. 1 rule in this game is to be loyal to who is loyal to you. Now, it’s not my kind of ‘get down’ to steal a client from another stylist, but when it comes to making it rain on the salons floor, I’m ya man! As you can see, it was not hard for me to issue out my lunch money as a good gesture to my fellow stylist. (insert Dontay’s famous laugh here). Wait, we are in a high end salon… Ooops.
Colleen comes in wanting to re-vamp the styling of her natural hair. BORING!!! If I wanted to style 10 inches of hair, I would pull out that good Barbie doll I used to play with back in 1985. You getting a weave, boo! I find great pleasure and joy with redefining a woman’s confidence through appearance, but I feel like I am married to all of them!!! Getting the energy sucked out of me on a day-to-day basis has driven me to drink… just to stay sane. I mean, I like to share and they take it!! And at times, it’s frightening for a short-haired woman to go long in the matter of a couple of hours. But guess what? You met me, so drink this and get this 99-inch weave sewn in so you can find your life honey!!! It ain’t right until you pee on it. Pull ya weave to the side and squat!!!
Latoya, let’s go BLONDE… and your little eyebrows too!!! Now I know this woman was not about to sit in my chair and think she was going to go blond and allow me to let her leave with black eyebrows??? Uh-um!!! Those brows tried to wear me out!!! ‘Bout as black as the bottom of a crack pipe!!! But we finally got it right. My initial goal was to lift them with the bleach just enough to where they were OK… but Kim decided to purchase a new hair color line that I was not familiar with, and that good ol’ magic bleach took those eyebrows to the moon!!! Momma turned translucent!!! Ooooooh!!! So I had to deposit a nice brown color on them to get them to where I initially wanted them to be. Tadaaahhhh!!! Another happy client for Dontay.